Call for Submissions
Eastern Illinois University is pleased to announce a call for works for the 2019 Region V Conference of the Society of Composers, Inc. The conference will be held on the campus of Eastern Illinois University in Charleston, Illinois, October 11-12, 2019.
Deadline May 13th. Selected composers must be current SCI members. Preference will be given to members within Region V (IN, MI, MN, OH, IL, IA, MN, ND, SD, WI, MB, ON). Student submissions are welcomed and encouraged. Submission of works for which the composer can provide performers are welcomed and encouraged.
Composers may submit up to 2 works. Works that are no more than 15 minutes in duration will have the best chance of being programmed. All scores and recordings (MIDI is acceptable if no live recording is available) should be submitted online only via the New Music Engine website (www.newmusicengine.org). All composers will be notified about the acceptance status of their submission no later than July 15, 2019. (Early submissions are strongly encouraged to help accommodate conductors and performers planning their repertoire for the season. Early acceptance/notification may be possible in some cases.)
Submitted works can fit into any of these categories:
- Wind Symphony: (picc, 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 3 clarinets, 4 saxophones (SATB or AATB), 5 trumpets, 4 horns, 2 trombones, 1 bass trombone, euphonium, tuba, 5 percussionists.)
- Percussion Ensemble (up to 16 players)
- Concert Choir
- Chamber Choir
- Jazz Band
- Solo/ChamberSolo/Chamber: Compositions for Instrumental/vocal or mixed-media (any instrument or combinations of instruments) for consideration by EIU performers. Works that draw from the following list will have the best chance of being programmed by EIU performers: picc, fl, ob, eng horn, cl, bass cl, bsn, hn, tpt, tbn, euph, tuba, sax, vln, vlc, db, piano, percussion, all voices. Any chamber piece requiring more than three string players will not be a good fit for the resources available for this conference.
- Electroacoustic MusicCompositions for fixed audio or audio/video media, and/or live computer/electronics; installations. Works can be diffused over an 8.1 audio system.
- Composer Provided Performers
Composers are encouraged to bring their own performers.
Solo and chamber works for all choral and orchestral instruments may be submitted for consideration by EIU performers. However, please note that Eastern Illinois University does not have a faculty harpist, organist, or classical guitarist. EIU Electronic Music Studios encourages submission of electronic media and art for presentation. We have a state-of-the-art performing arts center which can accommodate video projection and multichannel audio playback. In your submission, please provide detailed technical requirements, and list what the composer can provide.
Composers and presenters who are selected for this conference are required to remit a registration fee and must agree to attend the festival. Regrettably, SCI is not able to offer travel stipends or honorariums to conference participants.
Upload submissions to the New Music Engine at: https://www.newmusicengine.org/categories/2019-SCI-Region-V-Conference/index.html