Ohio University is pleased to announce a call for works for the 2023 Region V Conference of the Society of Composers, Inc. The conference will be held on the campus of Ohio University in Athens, Ohio from November 2-4, 2023. The call opens Nov. 15. The deadline for submissions is Feb 1, 2023.
Selected composers must be current SCI members. Preference will be given to members within Region V (IN, MI, MN, OH, IL, IA, ND, SD, WI, MB, ON). Student submissions are welcomed and encouraged. Submission of works for which the composer can provide performers are welcomed and encouraged. Submissions of works from composers of marginalized groups are highly encouraged and welcomed.
Composers may submit up to 2 works. Works that are no more than 15 minutes in duration will have the best chance of being programmed. All scores (pdfs) and recordings (mp3, MIDI is acceptable if no live recording is available) should be submitted online only via the New Music Engine website (www.newmusicengine.org).
Submitted works can fit into any of these categories:
1. Chamber Wind Ensemble – Max 20 players selected from piccolo, flutes in C, oboes, clarinet in Eb, clarinets in Bb, bass clarinet, bassoons, saxophones (SATB), horns (max 4), trumpets, trombones, bass trombone, euphoniums, tubas, percussion (max 3)
2. Choir – University Singers (SATB) and/or Bella Voce (SSA/Treble Choir)
3. Orchestra (Chamber orchestra preferred)
4. Big Band: 5 saxophones (AATTB), 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, rhythm section (piano, guitar, bass, drum set)
5. Jazz Combos
6. Shimmering Silver Flute Quartet or Flute Choir (Maximum of 2 alto and 2 bass doublings in either)
7. Sonax Saxophone Quartet
8. Ohio Brass Quintet (2 trumpets, horn, tenor trombone, tuba)
9. Athenia Wind Trio (flute, oboe, bassoon)
10. Ohio Winds (flute, oboe, clarinet in Bb, bassoon, and either horn in f or alto saxophone)
11. Klinder String Quartet (Graduate Student Quartet)
12. Percussion Ensemble (8 players max)
13. Trombone Choir (6-8 players max, can include up to 2 bass trombones)
14. Tuba-Euphonium Quartet (2 euphoniums, 2 tubas. Other combinations possible)
15. Piano Four-Hands
16. Faculty/Graduate Student Chamber Ensembles (1-5 players without electronics) – Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone, Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion, Violin, Cello, Piano
17. Faculty/Graduate Student Solos or Duos with or without electronics. Live or fixed electronics, stereo only, maximum of 2 microphones provided for any setup. Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Saxophone, Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion, Violin, Cello, Piano
18. Fixed Media and/or Live Electronic Performances by Composer (2.1, 4.1, 5.1, and 8.1 in Double Diamond configuration)
19. Video (single channel video, 2.1 and 4.1 audio)
20. Performers provided by the composer/composer performed works
Composers who are selected for this conference are required to remit a registration fee and must agree to attend the festival. Regrettably, SCI is not able to offer travel stipends or honorariums to conference participants.
If there are any questions or concerns, please address these to email@example.com.
Assistant Professor of Composition/Theory