March 5-6, 2010, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, Washington
Call for Scores and Papers
SCI Region VIII Conference, March 5-6, 2010, held at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington, hosted by Robert Hutchinson (firstname.lastname@example.org). The conference guest composer is Carter Pann of Boulder, Colorado.
SCI composers in good standing may submit up to two works for any of the following:
- Wind ensemble
- Saxophone quartet
- Brass ensemble (up to 4 trumpets, 4 horns, 4 trombones, euphonium, tuba, and one percussionist)
- Percussion ensemble, including:
- Marimba Quartet (Three 4.3oct + one 5.0 oct or voice as bass, tenor, alto, soprano)
- Keyboard Percussion Ensemble (using 1-2 xylo, 1-4 marimbas, 1-2 vibes, 1-2 bells, 1-2 chimes, and/or 2 oct. set crotales)
- Small Mixed Percussion Ensemble (4-6 players using battery, keyboard perc., timp., and/or aux. perc.)
- Large Mixed PercussionEnsemble (6-12 players, using battery, keyboard perc., timp., and/or aux. perc.)
- Other non-traditional formats upon approval
- Flute choir
- Clarinet choir
- Mixed Choir (the 48-voice Adelphian Concert Choir)
- Women’s Choir (the 32-voice Dorian Singers)
- Solo works for voice and accompaniment
- Solo and chamber works (up to six players) for all orchestral instruments (including harp, piano, and guitar)
- Any combination of instruments (duos, trios, string quartet, etc.) from a piano quintet comprised of members of Brave New Works (www.bravenewworks.org) and University of Puget Sound faculty
- Electroacoustic music; there will be two-channel playback available for CD, DAT, or laptop input.
Preference will be given to scores submitted by members of SCI Region VIII. Submitted works may be of any duration, but higher preference will be given to works under 12 minutes. Selections will be made by ensemble directors and performers. Composers able to provide their own performers are encouraged to submit as well. All selected participants are expected to attend the conference.
Proposals for papers, panels, demonstrations, and workshops are welcome. Please submit a 200- to 250-word abstract outlining the presentation, and indicating its nature and time required for presenting. Please send scores (not larger than 11″x17″), CDs of submitted works with durations clearly indicated, contact information with specifics regarding the availability of one’s own performers, cover letter, plus SASE for score return as desired, to:
University of Puget Sound
1500 N. Warner St #1076
Tacoma, WA 98416-1076
Selected composers must provide all required performance materials. The University of Puget Sound and/or SCI will not pay rental costs or other fees relating to performance materials.
Submission Deadline: September 10, 2009 (postmark deadline)
Submission should include: Cover letter, score(s), CD(s), contact information sheet, SASE
Composers notified by: November 20, 2009
Conference held: March 5-6, 2010, at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA
Registration fee: $50, $25 for student members