February 13-16, 2013, The Ohio State University
In conjunction with The Ohio State University School of Music Contemporary Music Festival
Call for Participation
(This information is also available as a printable PDF.)
The 2013 Society of Composers National Conference solicits submissions for compositions, papers, and suggestions for panels.
Ten concerts are planned, from works for large ensembles to chamber and electroacoustic works.
A highlight of the Conference will be a recital of winning compositions from the KH Tan Competition for Solo Violin Works.
The conference will also feature performances of the winning compositions from the 2011 ASCAP/SCI Student Commissioning Competition.
The conference registration fee will be $85.
Contact: SCIOSU2013@gmail.com, tel. 614-444-9822
Submission Guidelines: Compositions
Composers may submit up to two compositions each of which may be up to 15 minutes in duration.
Works may be submitted for the following instrumentations:
- Wind Symphony
- Symphonic Band
- Mixed Chamber Ensembles
- Choral Ensembles
- Flute Troupe (Flute Ensemble)
- Percussion Ensemble
- Trumpet Ensemble
- Trombone Ensemble
- Cosmos: Flute, Viola, and Harp
- Duo Contemporain: (Sax and Piano)
- Scarlet Winds (Woodwind Quintet)
- Tower Duo: Flute and Alto Saxophone
In addition, composers are also encouraged to bring their own performers.
Scores will be selected by the ensemble directors/performers and the Conference Committee.
Notification of selection will be by October 31, 2012.
Submission Guidelines: Papers/Panels
Paper presentations are limited to twenty minutes. Panels and other collaborative sessions may take up to fifty minutes, if necessary. Proposals may deal with any aspect of composition and new music, for example, composition pedagogy; career development; issues affecting women in composition; spectral music; compositional uses of the Internet; jazz and commercial Music in the composition curriculum.
Notification of selection will be by October 1, 2012
Composition submissions will be via Dropbox.
- A .pdf of the score, with performance materials (for selected works performance materials must be available in hard-copy by September 1, 2013). No rentals, please.
- A separate soundfile of each work submitted; .mp3 or multichannel interleaved .aiff or .wav files; 8.1 sound projection maximum.
- Contact information: the composer’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, SCI Regional Affiliation, titles of works submitted, with timings and instrumentation for each work. Electro-acoustic or computer works should include a list of technical requirements, making note of any equipment to be supplied by the composer.
- A list of performers, if they are provided by the composer
Submissions should be uploaded to dropbox.com:
- Use login
- Go to the folder appropriate to your surname.
- Create a subfolder in the form Mylastname_Myfirstname to upload your .pdfs and soundfiles, with separate folders for each work submitted.
Paper/workshop submissions must include:
- A one-page synopsis suitable for inclusion in the conference program.
- Equipment requirements.
- An email (to SCIOSU2013@gmail.com), including submitter’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and title of paper/workshop.
Conference web site
Thomas Wells, SCI
Kia-Hui Tan, Coordinator KH Tan Competition