University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA
March 1-3, 2018
Robert Hutchinson, host
The 2018 SCI National Conference will be held March 1-3, 2018, at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington, hosted by Rob Hutchinson. The conference guest composers are Joel Puckett and Jake Runestad. The ensemble in residence is the Heartland Marimba Quartet.
You can find maps, directions, and information about nearby accommodations at the following links:
Concert 1: Heartland Marimba Quartet
Thursday, March 1, 7:30 p.m.
- Pierce Gradone: Average Bureaucrats for percussion quartet
- Dorothy Hindman: Multiverses for marimba quartet
- Carl Schimmel: Serving Size 4 Bunnies for percussion quartet
- Frank Felice: No Discipline for solo marimba
- Matthew Coley: Rivers of Rage for marimba quartet
- Daniel Bayot: Percussive Maintenance for marimba quartet
- Alex Berko: Through a Technicolored Glass for Mmarimba quartet
- Thomas Kotcheff: and then and then and then this for percussion quartet
Concert 2: Chamber Concert 1
Friday, March 2, 10:00 a.m.
- Alan Hankers: Nocturne for violin and harp
- Kurt M. Mehlenbacher: Lullaby for an Evening Star for harp
- Stephen Bachicha: but I don’t WANNA go to bed!! for bassoon
- Texu Kim: Co.Ko.—un poco loco for solo piano
- Daniel Sitler: Catharsis for mezzo-soprano and piano
- Mark Dal Porto: Romance for oboe and piano
- Kai Ono: Doing the Right Thing for trumpet and piano
- Harry Bulow: Inventions for Alto Saxophone
- Mark Phillips: Action/Reaction for percussion duo
Concert 3: Electroacoustic Music
Friday, March 2, 2:00 p.m.
- Jacob Thiede: While it was raining in the woods for saxophone and computer
- Michael Smith: Ictus for 2 channel fixed media
- Jorge Variego: 16 veils for bass clarinet and live mixer
- Sue Jean Park: Dialogue for flute and electroacoustic accompaniment
- Scott Blasco: The Deeps for fixed media
- Daniel Eichenbaum: If your boy leads for mezzo-soprano and electronics
- Charles Gran: The Nice Model for cello and synthesizer (vocoder)
Guest Composer Panel with Joel Puckett and Jake Runestad
Friday, March 2, 3:30 p.m.
Concert 4: Puget Sound Symphony Orchestra
Friday, March 2, 7:30 p.m.
- Daniel Perttu: To Spring – An Overture
- Scott Lee: Anadyr
- Gregory Yasinitsky: Concertino for Flute and Orchestra
- Marilyn Shrude: Libro d’Ore for solo violin and orchestra
Friday, March 2, 9:30 p.m.
Concert 5: Chamber Concert 2
Saturday, March 3, 10:00 a.m.
- Timothy Melbinger: Delicacies for string trio
- Blaise Ferrandino: Petite Suite for Violoncello
- Gregory Mertl: Pears on a Sill ii.-iv. for piano
- Doug Davis: Idee Fixe for solo flute
- Steven Weimer: Introspec 2 for piano
- Sheli Nan: Clarient Clarinets Calling
- Jeffrey Ouper: Danza Sueno for flute quintet
- Joshua Burel: Andooni for clarinet, two violins, viola, and cello
- Aaron Israel Levin: Springbokkie for wind quintet and double bass
- Adam Scott Neal: blocks for string quartet
Concert 6: Vocal and Choral Music
Saturday, March 3, 2:00 p.m.
- David Dean Mendoza: Prelude, Illusion, and Magic for open instrumentation
- Jay Batzner: Sufi Songs for mezzo-soprano and piano
- Ingrid Stolzel: Soul Journey for mezzo-soprano and piano
- Robert Strobel: Three Songs of the Librarian for mezzo-soprano and piano
- Jordan Alexander Key: Salve Regina for choir
Concert 7: Chamber Concert 3
Saturday, March 3, 3:30 p.m.
- Tianyi Wang: Dark Blessing for violin, violoncello, and piano
- Frank Felice: Preserve Me, O God for medium voice and string quartet
- Bonnie McLarty: Spirit’s House for bassoon
- Jacob Reed: Psalm Twenty Three for soprano, cello, and piano
- He Jianjun: Qin Rhyme for solo piano
- Vaibhav Mohanty: Rhapsody No. 1 for alto saxophone and piano
- Matthew Jaskot: Rejuvenated (Variations on a Youthful Theme) for solo piano
- Jason Haney : Connotations for violin, cello, and piano
Concert 8: Puget Sound Wind Ensemble
Saturday, March 3, 7:30 p.m.
- Eric Knechtges: Ignite! for wind ensemble
- Paul Alan Price-Brenner: Concerto for Marimba Quartet and Wind Ensemble
- Chin Ting Chan: Falling Stars for wind ensemble
- Alex Shapiro: Trains of Thought
- Robert Hutchinson: The House of Life for mezzo-soprano, chamber winds and percussion
- Joel Puckett: that secret from the river