Indiana University Jacobs School of Music, Bloomington, Indiana
September 27-29, 2018
Hosted by The Jacobs School Student Composers Association, Prof. Don Freund, faculty advisor
Schedule of Events
- Thurs, Sep 27, 8:00PM, Auer Hall, IU New Music Ensemble, SCI Concert #1: Works by Baldwin Giang, Igor Santos, Charles Peck, and Grant Luhmann (includes performance by JSoM faculty English hornist Roger Roe). Also works by Osvaldo Golijov (Last Round for string nonet) and Nathan Stang.
- Fri, Sep 28, 9:00AM MC 036, SCI Conference Paper Session
- Fri, Sep 28, 10:00AM MC036, Guest Panel: Emerging Opportunities in New Music. Panelists will include:
- Deirdre Chadwick, President, BMI Foundation
- William Lackey, Vice President of Programs, American Composers Forum
- Gavin Chuck, Managing Director, Alarm Will Sound
- Larry Groupé, Jacobs School Professor of Music Scoring for Visual Media
- Fri, Sep 28, 12 noon MC036, Brown-bag Lunch with guests
- Fri, Sep 28, 2018 2:00PM Ford-Crawford Hall, SCI Concert #2: Compositions by Stephen Weigel, Maria Kaoutzani, Jorge Ivan Ramirez Marin, Natsumi Osborn, Ash Stemke, Ara Cho, and Wenxin Li (includes performances by the Jacobs School Kuttner String Quartet)
- Fri, Sep 28, 2018 4:00PM Recital Hall, SCI Concert #3: Works by Robert Rankin, Josiah Tayag Catalan, Aaron Israel Levin, Aaron Spotts, James Keuler, Jamie Kunselman, and Julian Brijaldo
- Fri, Sep 28, 2018 8:00PM, Auer Hall, SCI Concert #4 with Brass Choir, Chamber Choir, Symphonic Band and Chamber Orchestra: Works by Daniel Reza Sabzghabaei, Thomas Yee, Patrick Lenz, Bin Li, Alex Tedrow, Nicholas Cline, L.V. Wood, Benjamin Webster, Ryan Hayes, and Maciej Balenkowski
- Sat, Sep 29, 2018 11:00AM Auer Hall SCI Concert #5 (mostly Electro-Acoustic Music): Works by David Q. Nguyen, Kyle Peter Rotolo, Caroline Flynn, Jacob Thiede, Julius Bucsis, Qi Shen, Johnny MacMillan, and Jihyun Kim
- Sat, Sep 29, 2018 2:00PM Ford-Crawford Hall SCI Concert #6: Christopher E.Hass, Dongryul Lee, Lydia Dempsey, Craig Michael Davis, William Trachsel, Ralph Lewis, and Katherine Bodor (includes performances by the U of Illinois Elara String Quartet, and from the JSoM Guitar Ensemble, Empyrean Saxophone Quartet, and JSoM faculty soprano Katherine Jolly)
- Sat, Sep 29, 2018 4:00PM Recital Hall, SCI Concert #7: Works by Paul Novak, Leigha Amick, William A. Peacock, Jung-Woong Oh, Nicholas Shaheed, Isaac Pyatt and Curtis Rumrill (includes performances by the JSoM Kenaderu Saxophone Quartet)
- Sat, Sep 29, 2018 8:30PM Ford-Crawford Hall, SCI Final Concert #8: Works by Ben Robichaux, Navid Bargrizan, Tomas Peire Serrate, Ryan Stees, Pinda D. Ho, and Frank Nawrot (includes performance by Ball State U’s Nebular Blue)
Call for Papers
The Indiana University Jacobs School Student Composers Association will be hosting the 2018 SCI Student National Conference on September 27-29. Along with the performance of works by SCI student composers, we are also extending a call for papers by student members of SCI who wish to share their research pertaining to compositional technique, pedagogy, or contemporary trends. Papers will be presented at a 9 am session Friday morning, September 28, 2018 in an enhanced computer technology classroom at the Jacobs School.
This is a call for papers and presentations — the call for works to be performed during the Conference is closed. All submissions for the call will be handled through New Music Engine.
Please upload abstracts of 250 words or less in the field below as a PDF. In the file, include any technology your presentation will require (technological considerations will not count towards your word count). Papers will last 15 minutes with 5 minutes for questions.
Individuals who have submitted scores in response to the earlier call may submit for the paper presentation; preference will given to add composers who will not be performed to the Conference program.
The deadline for submission is September 9 and applicants will be notified via email by September 15. In order for us to be sure to meet our Conference program printing deadline, we ask that a submissions include a 150 word bio and print quality jpeg headshot.
There is no fee to apply for these calls. There is a $20 registration fee for all festival participants, if selected for participation, information for payment will be sent to you via email. Up-to-date membership in SCI is required for consideration.
For more information regarding the call for papers, please contact John Mattessich at email@example.com
Indiana Memorial Union Biddle Hotel And Conference Center Hotel Confirmation
900 East 7th Street
Bloomington, IN 47405-3905
Hotel Room Block:
Arrival Date: Thursday, September 27, 2018
Departure Date: Saturday, September 29, 2018
# of hotel rooms: 10 standard rooms
9/27- $134.00-$174.00 (+ tax per room, per night)
9/28- $149.00-$189.00 (+ tax per room, per night)
Reservation Method: Individuals responsible for own reservations
Payment Method: Individuals to provide own payment
Block Release date: 8/27/18
hotel block code: COMPOSERS
Guests will be asked to provide a credit card number upon arrival for incidentals. Hotel guests will receive a complimentary parking pass upon check-in to the hotel.
310 S College Avenue
Bloomington, IN, 47403-1509
All guestrooms are run-of-the house unless otherwise set forth. Guestroom types cannot be guaranteed and rooms will be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. Rooms are blocked on a space available basis. Book your group rate for IU Jacobs – Society of Composers
|Start Date||End Date||Room Type||Single|
Breakfast not included
Complimentary meeting space included
Hotel room rates are quoted per room per night and are subject to applicable state and local taxes at time of check in.
Method of Reservations:
Reservations will be made by individuals calling the Hotel directly 812-335-8000 at or the Brand Reservations at 800-Marriott (1-800-228-9290). Individuals must identify themselves as being with the group, Indiana University Jacobs School of Music – Society of Composers Sep2018, at the time the reservation is made in order to receive the special group rate. Where available, reservations may also be made on-line by booking through the World Wide Web.
Cut Off Date:
All guestroom accommodations will be held until 14 days prior to your meeting date, 09/27/2018. On 09/13/2018, the “Cut off date”, all unreserved rooms will be released for sale to the general public.