The Society of Composers, Inc. is excited to announce a call for recordings for our Super Regional Winter 2024 Student Mixtape. For this mixtape, there are no restrictions on style or ensemble and may be live, studio, or solely fixed-media recordings. The mixtape will have a duration of approximately 60 – 90 minutes in total and will feature composers from Regions V through IX. Selected works will be promoted on the SCI website, social media, and other platforms. Composers that submit works may receive testimonials and/or reviews of their music. See the following parameters:
1) Composers must be a student (high school, undergraduate, or graduate) in one of the following regions:
a. Region V: Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Manitoba, and Ontario.
b. Region VI: Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas.
c. Region VII: Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Hawaii, and California.
d. Region VIII: Arkansas, Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.
e. Region IX: Areas outside of North America.
2) Composer must be a member of SCI to be featured on the mixtape. However, membership may be obtained after notification of acceptance.
a. Membership fees are $15 with complimentary membership for composers identifying as BIPOC
3) MIDI renderings and VSTi productions are prohibited.
4) Works may be 15 minutes or less in length
5) Works with high quality recordings will be given preference.
6) Works must be submitted via a Google Drive, Dropbox, Soundcloud, YouTube, Vimeo, or another streaming link.
a. Multimedia works (video, interactive web interface, etc) will also be considered.
b. Multichannel recordings may be submitted as a binaural stereo reduction.
7) Finalists and Honorable Mentions will be included in the announcement. Selected composers may also receive a testimonial or review from an adjudicator. See the Society of Composers website for more information on previous mixtapes.
To submit, please complete the Google Form below. Please note that recordings should be submitted in mp3 format unless the work is for multimedia or a streaming link.
Please send all questions to ˈtoʊ-drɔ-ˈki at email@example.com with the subject line “Question | Super Regional Mixtape.” Submissions are due by November 25th at 11:59 PDT. Applicants will be notified of their status by December 14th, 2023.
We look forward to reviewing your submission!